Tuesday, May 01, 2007

La Bull Fight y The poor lady's shoulder

It's crazy. Madrid is crazy. Have you ever seen a man moved to tears as he drives his sword through the trobbing heart of a full-grown bull? Quite the intense experience. When we got off the plane, we went strait to Ventas where the bull fighting arena is and since we were a half an hour early I had a chance to talk to this old spaniard about what seats are the best. It turns out that seating prices are entirely based on whether you sit in the 'sol' (sun) or 'sombra'(shade). The tickets go for as little as 4.20, but can exceed 120 euro. We chose to sit in the half sun, half shade, on the highest level. Luckily we got to sit in the very front of the highest level, from which it feels like you are floating above the bullfighters as they perform.



As we sat watching, my little sister, Sydney, needed to go to the little sinorita's room and needed her ticket from me. As I reached for my pocket, my elbow hit the whisky vendor who was passing by. My immediate reaction was to retract my arm, but in doing so I tapped the 2 litre water bottle between me and my sister. From that point, all I could do was watch as the bottle fell from the bench to our feet, then roll from our feet, through the bars in front of us and fall about 20 surprisingly graceful feet onto an unsuspectin Signora below. We all cringed, but what a scene it caused. The old man behind us yelling, but reassuring us that it was an accident, the people below us, waterlogged and looking up to see the source of all the commotion. After about 5 minutes a couple of police officers, seeing that the lady who was hit by the water bottle was clenching her arm, came and took her off (to who knows where). The noise subsided, and people continued to watch the fight, and despite the deep feeling in my stomach that we were going to get in trouble somehow, no one from below even tried to confront us and the show went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment