Friday, August 04, 2006

Plans are for the birds - A word from Tom

I have not contributed to the blog enough. So this is my attempt to do better. First off I want to say that skiing in Zermatt on the last day of July may have been the highlight of the trip. I dont think this was emphasized enough. I am still considering going back to switzerland before the end of August.

One thing that I have realized in the last week or so is that living out of packs with minimal planning, has really changed the way that I think about cities and distances and just living in general. Waking up in the morning not knowing where you are going to sleep that night has become our routine. And as a result I now feel comfortable in just about every situation we find ourselves in. Tonight we came into the Berlin train station and started to look at Hostel addresses etc. Out of nowhere this old lady came up to Sam and asked us if we wanted to stay in an apartment she rented out. We followed her downtown, while she explained in detail the history of every building and monument we passed. Then she told us all about life in east Germany, how she had been imprisoned for 2 years because of trying to fake a passport out of the country. But how she still sympathizes with and votes for the communist party.
Anyway what I am trying to get at here is that things work out. I think people tend to err on the side of inaction, to avoid risks(I include myself here). But the way things have been working out on this trip, I am more and more convinced that when we act, while there will be setbacks, ultimately things fall into place and we find ourselves with opportunities we would never have anticipated. So stop reading this blog and go outside. Either that or come join us in Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment